Tomorrow is the one week anniversary of this blog! Can you believe it? And people said I wouldn’t stick with it. Actually, that’s not true. That’s an example my tendencies toward “revisionist history.” People have actually been ridiculously supportive of my little endeavor. Like, scary supportive. I can’t figure out what they think they’ll gain from all this.
In case you missed it, here’s what we’ve covered so far: Petunia, tabloids, fair food, bachelorettes, drag queens. Honestly, I wouldn’t expect too much variation in the future.
Anyway, to celebrate our blogiversary (I just threw up a little), let’s talk summer cocktails!
Here are two that my lover/emergency contact and I are currently addicted to.
- Cut up watermelon into chunks.
- Throw a bunch of chunks into the blender with a teensy bit of water.
- Add fresh mint and simple syrup. We have some mint that we planted in the spring that is taking over our side yard, so we’re using mint in everything these days. Mint and potatoes? Not so good. Mint and watermelon? BFFs 4eva.
- Blend. Ta-da. You have agua fresca. You are practically a Tejano now. To be truly Mexicano, proceed to next step.
- Add shot of white tequila.
- Blend. Pour over crushed ice.
- Proceed to beat the hell out of a piñata. Don’t spill your drink.
Some Fancy Drink We Adapted from Bon Appetit
- Muddle cucumber slices, your old friend mint, and some simple syrup in the bottom of a shaker. Smoosh it real good. I mean it. Get some elbow in there. Use your piñata arm.
- Add a shot of vodka.
- Shake. Pour over crushed ice.
- Add club soda to fill to the top.
- Garnish with mint and cucumber slices. I’M KIDDING. We don’t do that! We just drink the damn things!
- Grab some seersucker and a straw boater and sip your drink with your pinky up in the air while expounding on the themes in the Great Gatsby and how hard it is to rent a decent summer cottage on the Cape anymore. I don’t have any idea what I just said. I might have blacked out there for a minute.
Any good summer drink ideas out there? Who loves a good piñata? If you could have any candy inside a piñata, what kind would you want?
(funny sidenote: I found a piece of hot pink and black boa feather in my gum pack in a pocket in my purse today. Crazy.)