Dolly Parton is my spiritual guru. I love her. In difficult situations here at Poe Communications and Industrial Services (for all your writing/editing/industrial needs, just Gmail me at thepoelog), I often ask myself: “What would Dolly do?”
Then I give myself a little Dolly pep talk along the lines of pulling myself up by my bootstraps and going harder, and/or putting on some lipstick and rhinestones to make myself feel better. Those are the two WWDD answers I usually come up with.
So, of course, I’m digging this Mentalfloss list of 10 Things You Didn’t Know About Dolly Parton. My favorite? She entered a Dolly Parton Look-a-Like Contest. And lost. You can’t make that stuff up. Priceless.
Here’s some other stuff I’m digging this week:
- You guys know about Bros Being Basic on Instagram, right? Hilarious from the photos to the hashtags.
- I am pretty clumsy and often tell little white lies to smooth stuff over, but the Egyptian Museum has really taken it to the next level. Breaking off King Tut’s beard and then GLUING it back on? Sounds like a classic Poe move.
- A new island has been formed thanks to a volcano eruption in Tonga. I’d like to remind the folks of this new island that I am available to be their ruler.
- I know some DC ladies who could really use this invisible boyfriend app. And probably will. Don’t hate the player, hate the game, y’all.
- Speaking of love, this article is one of the best things that I’ve read in the past couple of weeks. It’s on the psychology of love and whether you can “fake it till you make it,” so to speak. The author is so good at explaining science and making it so damn relatable. It’s just perfect.
- We’re getting another round of cold, frigid, horrible weather this weekend, so maybe it’s time to have a little cold weather wear review. Yes, blankets can be fashionable coats, according to BetchesLoveThis. The final image at the bottom of the article is hilarious.
- Don’t sloths just make everything better? Including sorority rush.