That’s right, Friday’s links on a Monday. That’s because I went to a networking event on Thursday that morphed into a happy hour that turned into a very happy night so Poe Communications/Beverage Distributors Inc. was closed on Friday. Sometimes, happy hour gets in the way of running a multimedia communications empire.
- Recent psychology research reveals that most people are more likely to encounter sadism in their offices, at the hands of a colleague. I certainly experienced this phenomenon in my last work environment. Luckily, my current office is populated by just me and the cat. Maybe I’m the office sadist?? Better look at that chart again.
- If you feel like giving that office sadist (or an ex) a special Valentine’s Day gift, the San Francisco Zoo will let you adopt a Madagascar hissing cockroach or a giant hairy scorpion.
- Speaking of jilted exes gone wrong, I read “The Girl on the Train” this week. I thought it was pretty suspenseful, but I fell out of love/sympathy with some of the characters towards the end. It’s not my usual genre, but I’ve heard that people who love “Gone Girl” will dig it. (I did not read “Gone Girl,” so I can’t compare).
- I watched the Oscar-nominated documentary “Finding Vivian Maier” OnDemand the other night. So fascinating and her work is phenomenal. I’m also a tiny bit obsessed with the Chicago real estate agent who discovered her work and has fought so hard to bring it to light. And all the subsequent lawsuits that have arisen since he did.
- It was a slow year for TSA which confiscated 2,212 firearms in carry-on bags at 224 airports in 2014. And an 8.5-inch knife which was hidden in an enchilada. Muy pelligroso.
- And finally, I think we can all agree that Katy Perry totally ripped off Will Ferrell for her Super Bowl Half Time show. First off, her whole fire costume was stolen from “Blades of Glory.” And that whole set in the middle with the dancing sharks and palm trees reminded me of “Semi Pro’s” Flint Tropics show. Corn dogs, Jackie, corn dogs.