Dynamic, motivated and social-media savvy content creator, editor and digital online communicator with more than 15 years of experience in developing, packaging and marketing high-value content for a variety of audiences. Able to craft clear and persuasive messages on complex issues.
October 2014 to present
President and Supreme Allied Commander of Writing/Editing/Content Marketing/Social Media Management — Recent clients include:
- The U.S. Travel Association – Executive Editor/IWPDaily
- Skift – Reporting/writing
- National Retail Federation – Editing
- National Journal – Reporting/writing sponsored content
- Project Time Off – Contributor, Upside of Downtime blog
- High Lantern Group – Public policy writing (retail, taxes)
- DCI Group – Public policy writing (regulations, infrastructure and energy)
- 3DogHaus – Writing marketing materials for the Multiple Myeloma Research Foundation
- Sotheby’s International – Marketing/social media manager for a realtor in the Washington DC office.
- DowntownDC BID – Reporting/writing
U.S. Chamber of Commerce
July 2006 – October 2014
Senior Writer/Managing Editor. Led the content development, marketing, and strategy of advocacy messages via print and multiple digital publication platforms. Guided editorial direction of the organization’s primary member communications products, a responsibility that included decision-making, writing, blogging, editing, photo and design direction, and media and blogger pitching.
- Assisted with the redesign of the U.S. Chamber’s monthly print publication, Free Enterprise, and its e-newsletters. E-newsletter open and click rates increased 50% following redesign.
- Instrumental in executing the January 2012 launch of FreeEnterprise.com, the U.S. Chamber’s digital storytelling website and centerpiece of the organization’s digital media strategy. (2.8 million visitors in 2013)
- Instrumental in executing the January 2014 launch of uschamber.com/blog, the U.S. Chamber’s policy-focused blog targeting opinion leaders and influencers inside the Beltway, across the country and around the world.
- Introduced new online and print member engagement tactics resulting in a 20% increase in Web user comments.
- Initiated an active social media presence for editorial products, including the most active and fastest growing Twitter feed within the organization. (@freeenterprise – 11,400 followers)
- Expanded the organization’s reach via Facebook.
Inside U.S. Trade
Associate Editor. Reported, wrote and edited stories on the politics, interests and global events that influence U.S. international trade policy. Often meeting multiple daily deadlines to post straight news stories for the Web while developing a network of sources and undertaking enterprise reporting for a weekly magazine.
- Adept at explaining technical and legal aspects of U.S. trade policy, including congressional legislation, World Trade Organization obligations, disputes, and negotiations, U.S. and Chinese currency policy, bilateral trade negotiations, and trade remedies.
- Attended and covered WTO ministerials in Cancun and Hong Kong.
- Regularly attended and filed stories on trade negotiations and summits at WTO headquarters in Geneva.
- Planned and pitched content; assigned stories, edited copy from junior team members, managed editorial process and relationships.
Master of Arts, International Commerce & Policy
George Mason University
Bachelor’s of Journalism
University of Texas at Austin
SKILLS OF NOTE
- Online communications strategy development.
- Web site project management.
- Adept at Drupal, WordPress, other CMS platforms.
- Brand journalism/advocacy writing.
- Content marketing/strategy.
- Advanced and computer-assisted research.
- Publishing and writing for weblogs.
- Weblogger and media outreach.
- Employing social networking websites.
- Basic audio, video, and photo editing.
- On-air interviewing.
- Can-can dancing. No. Really.